- Petition in support of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate (FFI) - Feb7/14
The Vancouver Traditional Mass Society (VTMS) together with
Pro Missa Tridentina, from Germany,
Una Voce Austria, from Austria,
Ecclesia Dei Delft from the Netherlands and
Ecclesia Dei Society of New Zealand
is initiating a worldwide petition drive beginning this Saturday.
Please chose the printable petition form in the desired language(s):
Printable Petition form - PDF (English)
Druckfassung der Petition - PDF (Deutsch/German)
Formulaire Publiable de la Petition - PDF (Français/French)
Formulario Stampabile de la Petizione - PDF (Italiano/Italian)
Formulario para impressão de petição - PDF (Portugese/Portuguese)
Formulario de petición imprimible- PDF (Español/Spanish)
Petitie voor de Franciscaner Broeders van de Onbevlekte - PDF (Dutch/NL)
The sheets can then be photocopied and/or scanned and e-mailed or posted to
the address on the petition or even to us here in Vancouver.
These will all be presented to the Holy Father.
The petition is meant to address the ongoing situation with the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate (FFI) by seeking the intervention of the Holy Father Pope Francis.
Just a very brief background on the situation:
- A few members of the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate from the USA complained to Rome because the FFI were beginning to offer the Extraordinary Form of the Mass in more of their houses. This use was never offered exclusively and never forced on any priest;
- This is very similar to the difficulties within the FSSP in 1999, initiated by a small number of members, when all traditional Catholics had to get involved to limit the damage to that organization;
- An investigation was begun into the complaints of this small group of FFI friars, which consisted of a questionnaire to elicit information from all full FFI members, questions asking for responses based not on facts, but on opinions;
- On the return of this questionnaire by a minority of the FFI members (calculations from reported statistical numbers indicate that only 47 of about the 350 Friars responded to the questionnaire) Fr. Fidenzio Volpi OFM Cap. was appointed by the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life to oversee the FFI in the capacity of Apostolic Commissioner. He immediately both removed the Superior and proceeded with severe measures, to radically change the character of this very successful religious order;
- Fr. Volpi then prohibited any priest from the FFI from celebrating the EF Mass, including private Masses:
- This immediately cancelled many Masses around the world for the laity which were being offered by the FFI;
- The Friars were also told that they could then apply for permission to say the Extraordinary form of the Mass. It has subsequently been reported that such requests are in numerous instances being refused.
Our organizations maintain:
- The penalties imposed are unjust and an abuse of power;
- To require permission to offer the EF and to restrict priests to only saying the Ordinary form is against the established laws of the Church as stated in the motu proprio 'Summorum Pontificum' and the extensive clarifications in 'Universae Ecclesiae'. Since both forms of the Mass are on the same legal footing, every priest has the option of saying one or the other form without needing authorization from anyone;
- The actions taken in regard to the FFI are scandalous to the laity worldwide, as the severity of the penalties and restrictions have not been followed by the public revelation of what was done to make these actions just.
There is also a trickle-down effect as those who dislike the spread of this Mass see this as an opportunity to attack and prohibit the Mass consequently the Mass at Santa Maria Maggiore which was said for over seven years was cancelled. The priest who said it simply being told that he could no longer do so. We all need to take action to not only stop the spread of this mindset but to right the wrongs and injustices involved.
The laity have also been deprived of these priests to continue saying the Masses which they offered with 33 being cancelled in Italy, a number in the USA and 7 in the Philippines. Some of these have since restarted but not by the FFI community.
What we are asking everyone to do including chapters and associated members is:
- disseminate this petition far and wide on your blogs, websites Facebook anywhere you have a presence and to all your members;
- keep it low key in your explanation simply stating that this petition will be forwarded to the Holy Father and it is an attempt to reverse or limit the damage being done to a very good organization the FFI and to restore not only their access to the EF form of the Mass but also to all those they serve;
- all individuals are asked to print out copies and gather as many signatures as possible.
The Roman Forum - Twenty-Second Gardone Riviera Summer Symposium &
Second International Catholic Christendom Congress - Dec 6/13
- Gardone Riviera: Lake Garda, Italy -
June 30th.- July 11th. 2014 (11 nights)
- Vancouver Traditional Mass Society Annual General Meeting on Sunday, Oct 6/13 - Oct 4/13
Dear Friends of the VTMS:
The Vancouver Traditional Mass Society will hold its annual general meeting on
Sunday, October 6, at
Holy Family Parish Hall,
4851 Beatrice Street,
following the High Mass, which begins at 10:30 AM.
Our guest speaker will be Fr. Paul McDonald from St. Catharines, Ontario.
To download a membership application/renewal form, please click here.
- News from Campos, Brazil - June 18/13
The President of the FIUV, and the Chairman of the Latin Mass Society, received this information from His Excellency Bishop Rifan, of the Apostolic Administration of St. John Vianney, Campos.
Dear friends of LMS and UNAVOCE,
I send you the photos of my last visit to the Pope Francis, may 22th 2013. I introduced myself saying who I am, explaining that I am the Bishop of the Apostolic Administration what conserves the Mass in the Extraordinary Form. He answered me: I know, because I talk about this with the Cardinal Castrillon.
With my blessing and good souvenirs.
+ Bishop Fernando Arêas Rifan - Campos - Brazil
- News from Kitchener/Hamilton - May 14/13
- Effective June 30/13 the Mass according to the Extraordinary Form will move to
a new parish. The time will remain at 2:30 PM.
St Ann's Church
120 Sherman Ave North
Phone:905 544 0488
Roman Forum Program for 2013-2014 - Mar 25/13
The Roman Forum - Twenty-First Gardone Riviera Summer Symposium & First International Catholic Christendom Congress - Feb 18/13
- Schedule to Date (Subject to Alteration) -
July 1st- July 12th, 2013 (11 nights)
- FIUV Position Papers are available as a book - Dec 14/12
- The first 13 papers, and the introduction, have been compiled into a Lulu book.
Archbishop Thomas Gullickson has kindly written an endorsement of the book.
Use your mouse & mouse wheel to pan and zoom the map below.
Click on a marker to display more information.